Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Glimmer of Substance Behind The Rhetoric

After my tongue-in-cheek, but undeniably slightly malicious, rumour spreading regarding the date for the next round of job cuts here, various people have wandered past my desk this morning looking both relieved and pissed off that my 'source' (aka 'my imagination') was wrong. Hey, I might still be right - I did say cover myself by saying today *or* tomorrow...

Well since I've got rather more of a sense of job security than them,
L and I have opted for some sunshine in Sharm El-Sheikh in Egypt for a spring break next month. Frankly the unrepentent drizzel of London rain, and bad news from the press, are enough to make even an optimist like me start to contemplate whether it is time to pack it all in and buy a beach hut.

There has been some interesting announcements
from the new US Treasury Secretary, Tim Geithner, relating to the proposed $2 trillion update to the TARP (now rebranded the Financial Stability Plan, presumably to reassure us by removing horrible words like 'troubled').

"It's been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come..."
Exactly as I expected, the programme so far seems to be a direct implementation of the skilled rhetoric with which Barack Obama has stormed the global political stage in the last 15mths. Broad in scope, inspiring hope, but with few actual specifics. However people, I think we can all quite definitely say that change has come.

Quite why the markets were expecting some kind of all-encompassing answer to this wide range of problems so soon is beyond me. Desperation most likely. The Financial Stability Plan was only a framework when the bill passed through the Senate a couple of days ago. Those buying in to capitalise on some kind of bounce are a fine example of why many lose money on the markets: were I into short selling, I would have been fully loaded up before yesterday.

Of most interest to my GGP trade is that the plan now includes the proposed relief for the Commercial Real Estate sector. In theory it will provide a means for lenders to either receive capital specifically for refinancing distressed REIT's, or roll those loans into some kind of 'bad bank' fund that reduces their own risk and exposure. Either way, once the market stops sulking, it actually has some potential to help unlock a situation where otherwise viable businesses are on the verge of bankruptcy due to the frozen commercial mortgage-backed security
(CMBS) market.

Anyway, I have a fabulously quiet afternoon in prospect at the office. One of the final round interviews I had lined up with another bank was supposed to be later, but that has just been cancelled due to new hires currently not being 'commercially viable at present'. That translates into the bank realising they cannot really justify hiring when they are about to fire more employees.

Either way, given I am lucky enough to seemingly be secure for the foreseeable future I couldn't care less.. now which hotel in Sharm El-Sheikh shall I go for...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in what you have to say, in particular negative opinions so feel free to post an insult or two here. Emerging Investor