Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What's the Point?

As the howling chorus of public anger towards bankers for our crimes reaches a glorious epiphany, I have to question the underlying motives once again. I only wish that Gordon or David would learn to clasp their hands while they preach morality to the masses - just look to your great predecessor's display at Princess Diana's funeral for guidance.

"Be not too hasty to trust or admire the teachers of morality; they discourse like angels but they live like men."

Dr Johnson's quotes remain so timeless because they are pungent observations of human nature. On that note, as I restarted work on my business plan yesterday, on something which feels like it might have some genuinely positive purpose and meaning, I found myself musing over the question asked by even the most zealous androids of the corporate world: what's the point of all this?

Yes, my move away from key emerging markets last year was perfectly timed with hindsight. My role at the bank continues to develop, is interesting enough to pass the days, and compensates well enough. However work here has ceased to be about innovation and revenue generation, and is largely focused on the bank's amusingly desperate struggle to recover confidence and reignite core business again.

Some of the initatives proposed and to which banks are devoting significant resources now are just absurd. There seems to be a bizarre lack of awareness or willingness to believe that the deleveraging of the past year is continuing, and that those valuable hedge funds clients will not be returning in the shape and form of the past.

In fact, I've talked myself into it - time to get back onto the business plan this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in what you have to say, in particular negative opinions so feel free to post an insult or two here. Emerging Investor