Thursday, April 9, 2009

Speculation Drives GGP

I have been making some positive progress on the business plan for the financial website I am planning to create (sorry, will not be discussing specifics as you would expect on a blog!) A high level plan for its initial marketing and revenue generation has been completed, and since I have brain dumped most of the site ideas, I am going to formalise those along with specifics on the design and structure this weekend in a functional spec.

I have started to look into vendors that can build the site, but am so far fairly unimpressed with the package solutions on offer - not to mention all the bullshit extras thrown in like registering the domain name (and controlling it), that presumably appeal to the average lamer they are targeting. I will be telling them exactly what I want, and otherwise will need full control over the daily content management.

It will require some time and effort to assess what is on offer, but I am looking to approach around about 10 vendors for build estimates, options and support contract costs over the next week. I need that not least so that I can complete the financial component of the business plan, including necessary start-up capital and first year trading costs.

After my last entry on Saturday, discussing my increasing confidence in GGP's prospects - not least from Bill Ackman's recent comments - the share price on Monday underwent such an unusual increase (greater than 200% at one point), that the firm issued a statement on the trading activity to confirm there was no known basis.

I was not entirely surprised to see speculation growing from institutions and others that GGP has significant potential for common shareholders. A 98% discount alone tells you that it is clearly not a fair reflection of value. The price as of today has predictably dropped back to around 85 cents since the highs of $1.35 earlier this week - since I was waiting at around 75 cents for falls to buy more, I am happy to hold and continue waiting for a better buying opportunity (ideally somewhere under 50 cents).

In the meantime, additional support for the notion that GGP will eventually complete negotiations with lenders and file for a prepackaged bankruptcy came in the form of real estate magnate Sam Zell, who commented:

"I do not believe GGP will be liquidated," Zell said at a recent New York University real estate investment trust conference. "I expect the company to file bankruptcy. It will do a prepackaged. It will be reorganized and it will be taken public."

The net impact of this would be a controlled bankruptcy application with a pre-agreed plan of restructuring - this would enable the firm to sort that out under Chapter 11 protection in much less time, and theoretically with less court interference. It would then emerge from this and should see a huge increase in share value.

At the same time, the existing evidence points to TALF funding continuing to trickle down through the system and have an increasingly positive impact on the credit markets throughout the remainder of 2009 and into 2010.

Everything right now seems to point towards GGP being an excellent long hold for anybody not risk averse. Consider this final point: the consensus view in and outside the US government now is that the commercial real estate sector is a huge and vital component of the US credit market that must be supported. As well as CRE being more viable than the multitude of small home owners in the domestic market, many have also commented on the devastating impact that a Chapter 7 (liquidation) of GGP would have - not just on the firm and its shareholders, but more importantly on the wider market.

Too big to fail? I think people are soon about to work out that this doesn't just apply to the banks, and that the major REIT's are also in that same boat.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the article. What are your thoughts now that GGP has filed and Ackman is the DIP financier?

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, and now work isn't taking up ridiculous amounts of my time I'll be posting a detailed analysis on all this very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. I'll be looking forward to your analysis.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in what you have to say, in particular negative opinions so feel free to post an insult or two here. Emerging Investor