Saturday, April 4, 2009

Increasing Confidence

Another fine, relaxing weekend is in prospect - L is doing what she does best and having a lie-in as I write, and that leaves me with a spare moment to write a quick entry.

So G20 this week was every bit the anti-climax I expected. I wonder how much of that $1tr package was pre-negotiated - all of it I expect, with some hand shaking and breast beating for the cameras. GGP has been equally unexciting in its lack of progress over the last month, although major shareholder and activist Bill Ackman has spoken out again in favour of the company filing Chapter 11 soon and a pre-packaged bankruptcy.

I agree with the approach, provided common shareholder value is left in tact, which it ought to be given (and Ackman stresses), that GGP's problem is the unusual case of insolvency. Issuing shares as a means of raising capital is almost impossible for a company that has seen its share price fall by 98.5% in a year. Combined with the increasing signs that the US government will be stepping in to directly support the US commercial real estate sector, and specifically the REIT's, I am planning to increase my stake in GGP at these bargain prices.

"Bernanke said the eligible collateral for the Fed's $1 trillion Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility, or TALF, will likely expand to include commercial mortgages and securities that aren't newly issued."

Some patience is required to hopefully buy at a really good price on a dip in the coming weeks, but I am looking to buy another 100,000 shares should the right opportunity arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in what you have to say, in particular negative opinions so feel free to post an insult or two here. Emerging Investor