Sunday, November 29, 2009

Chartering A New Course

You could say that the wedding and subsequent month off has really knocked me out of my rhythm since getting back. That has certainly been a really good thing, as there is nothing worse than letting life's undercurrents pull you along in whatever direction it chooses.

I have taken the title of my last entry (time to reassess) to heart and have been taking a long, hard look at what I want to do next both professionally, not to mention spending all of yesterday looking at houses, as I think 2010 will be the year I finally pick up a place at last.  Buying your own house (as opposed to properties to rent) are a total waste of money, and should never be viewed as investment.  

Their 'return' is largely an illusion given the multitude of hidden costs, not to mention the opportunity cost from what returns all that money tied up in a property could yield elsewhere.

Anyway, It was over drinks with a number of former colleagues that I got into some serious banker-beer analytics on why I find my current job at the bank so utterly dull these days. I think it is easy to explain: ever since the work become reactive (the Time Wasting Insolvency Initiative, which was panic fuelled by the events of October 2008), the work is not remotely analytical based.  As such my role has increased in responsibility but decreased in actual interest.

So it was that on my fifth pint with a good friend of mine, who has moved over to one of the other banks, concluded I ought to get out of what I am doing and become an investment analyst with a view to eventually trying to climb the greasy pole into full asset/portfolio management.  It was the sort of matter-of-fact statement that makes it sound like the easiest thing in the world.

Despite that, it was a bit of a lightbulb moment, as I had not seriously considered the prospect of a complete move out of my area until now.  However I am certainly never one to rule out ideas as 'impossible' simply because they might be difficult. So despite my inebriated state I filed that and mulled over it at work for the next week, eventually concluding that doing something I have been meaning to for the last 5 years would be a useful first step.  

As such I signed up for the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) programme a couple of weeks ago, and that is naturally going to take up a great deal of time over the next 6 months alone.

To anybody who has taken the time to read some of my previous entries, it probably won't come as a great surprise to realise that I have a passionate interest in investing, not to mention an unusual willingness (and bizarre enjoyment) in carrying out the associated due diligence and analysis required to make sure the important decisions are the right ones.  The CFA course itself looks to be largely areas I know a lot about anyway, so this should just be useful in really ensuring I fill in the knowledge gaps as I go along.

The benefit for all of you guys, is that I will start producing far more concise, better quality research and analysis over the coming months as I go forwards.  Unlike the hoards of people blogging and making recommendations ultimately to make money, I'd rather help in my own small way in the development we all undergo as investors from those first, emotion-driven small dips in the water, through to spending hundreds of thousands based on a cold, worked analysis thesis.

And on that subject, we can celebrate the first anniversary of my initial position that I took in General Growth Properties.  I have obviously been following developments with the company with a great degree of interest over the past fortnight regarding GGP's lender blueprint that it has fast-tracked with many of its major secured lenders, and of course the news the day before from Simon Property Group that they have hired Lazard Frères with a now open interest in acquiring some or all of GGP.

All excellent news for the share price of course, which has rightly repriced upward sharply into the $6 territory, and will almost certainly continue rising over the coming months as further news regarding lender settlements and takeover rumours begin to gather pace.

To anybody sitting on the sidelines, now remains a very good time to look at General Growth Properties as an investment.  Despite concerns regarding the impact of share dilution from many, this is becoming an increasingly less important factor as the company market capitalisation increases.  Limited asset sales to raise a couple of billion could easily be agreed with SPG or rivals to reduce that $6.5bn figure further, so I see this as a minor downside on the upward direction of the stock price over the next two years, as risk perceptions reduce and the market continues to reprice the stock accordingly. 

Oh, and on a final note, the job market here in the City of London has bounced back hugely in the last few months.  After screwing up the global economy, there is no irony that the sector is the first to be firmly out of recession.  The major banks are all haemorrhaging good people now - people who are generally fucked off after the last two years of being treated badly and overworked by employers that are now making plenty of money (courtesy of cheap and easy government money).

As such, the already understaffed banks are now desperately hiring - my own being no exception.  Naturally I am never one to turn down an opportunity, so have already had a couple of interviews in the last week and could take jobs with them now if I wanted based on the feedback.  It is the best market I have seen since 2005/6, and so despite the longer term aim, I shall probably use this as a moment to cash in on the prestige/name of where I work and up my earnings by 30-40%.  It would be rude not to...

4 comments:

  1. anybody home? been looking forward to your comments regarding the many going-ons of GGP but getting disappointing silence. I guess busy with professional and domestic duties. Hope I am not disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Anon - I'm around but it has just been a mad time in Nov/Dec on the domestic front since I got back from California.. right now juggling CFA study with working life has been proving quite challenging.

    I'll definitely be back posting soon, meantime the ongoing public debate between Hovde Capital, Pershing Square and Witney Tilson around GGP valuation has interesting - and provided excellent opportunities to take advantage of temporary weaknesses in the share price.

    At close to 2000% up since April I don't think any investors in the firm can complain as we come to the year end...

    ReplyDelete
  3. no apology needed. duty calls. i along with the rest of your readers appreciate your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in what you have to say, in particular negative opinions so feel free to post an insult or two here. Emerging Investor