Monday, March 9, 2009

Itchy Feet

No, I've not got fungal spores growing down there, but I must confess that despite the downturn I have been continuing a quiet look around despite a secure position. There is no real need, besides feeling that I have got everything out of this job that I can - and get called most days by one slimy headhunter or another.

I started looking around in December as a hedge given the uncertainty of my position at the bank. Now, rather than turn down any potential opportunities before they presented themselves, I went along to a final round interview with a fund management group last week, to get a sense of what else is out there on the job front. After the positive reactions from my quick look around, I really don't get a sense I would need to look too hard to find more work.

I know plenty of people who have been out of work now for as much as 18mths now, many of whom are now retraining and looking for a career outside the City. Fair enough, most of them weren't that great in terms of work ethic or skillsets, so perhaps that goes back to why recessions are arguably healthy for the economy in the long term.

When I think of the uncannily accurate stereotype of the modern Essex-boy trader in the City, I think of excessive coinfidence, excessive compensation, and excessive lifestyles - and no sense of understanding the value of money. Many appeared to have all the morals of footballers as they frittered away cash on coke fueled evenings and God knows what else - strip joints seemed to be a favourite from what I can gather of various lewd comments I have heard on the Desk over the years.

Anyway, the interview itself was fairly boring - a final round with a 40-something partner who probably makes more in a month than I do in a year. Unfortunately he spent more time talking about himself than asking any questions, in particular wanting to find out whether there was potential business I could bring in from my current bank. I discounted him and the role within 10mins, despite him starting to lavish praise on me towards the end.

"Well, you're obviously very bright and articulate" he said, beginning his ring-licking closing speech.

"I think with your background and skills you'd make an excellent addition to the group, and I'll be in touch with Helen to arrange to take this further".

I loved the assumption on his part that I must be interested.
It has however made me start to wonder whether a strategic move would be a good idea in around 6mths time. Perhaps even to a bank in the Far East for a while. I have gained about everything that I can from my time here, and change is beneficial despite us naturally shying from it. I think a well-timed hop would reap great rewards. However this one needs to be very carefully timed, so as to not enter at a low base (now crucial), and a role with enough upward potential. Before you wonder, I consider this an aside to mull over while I work on the business plan.. and anyway, I've got a wedding and honeymoon to factor in for later this year..

I'm very much now in holiday mode. It's 2pm and I can't bring myself to get back to the office.. that's right - my previous meeting 'overran'. I don't leave for another couple of days, but am purposely doing as little as possible in the meantime and delegating. I'll be out of here at 6pm tonight on the dot for a change, and need to start planning what to do with L. Two weeks off - what bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in what you have to say, in particular negative opinions so feel free to post an insult or two here. Emerging Investor