Monday, January 26, 2009

Whispering Rumours, Job Cuts & Backstabbing

It goes without saying that the mood in the City right now is sombre, and as bad as I have ever seen. What's more worrying is that even the old timers who are serving life sentences at the bank also comment on how they have never seen anything this bad.

However as with investing, people need to detach those emotions and put everything into perspective, or we risk sensationalising the situation like the press.

Yes we're in for a tough year or two. For the vast majority of us that simply means a little belt tightening and dealing with some jobs worries. Otherwise there is really no meaningful difference. For that minority who end up out of work or losing their homes it is a different story of course, but that's not something that will happen to me as I'm financially insulated. While I feel sorry for those in that position, you make your own bed in life to a large extent, whether you realise it or not.

Strangely I'm still fending off calls from headhunters despite the downturn, and am delaying final round interviews at a couple of decent firms purely to cover my angles ahead of the next round of job cuts at my bank. It seems a little odd to me to be in such a fortunate position, especially as I know plenty of people who have already been out of work for as much as 15mths now, which I'm sure must be horrendous.

Everyday at work, beyond the buzz of the trading floor, there are whispers as bankers quietly discuss the latest job rumours. Despite assurances from senior management after the last round before Christmas that that was it, these mostly focus upon when the next round will be. I for one am far too cynical to believe the last cull was anything other than the start of the process. Why? I researched and asked old timers what has happened before in these circumstances and they knowingly told me the process.

Senior bankers seem to actively do their best to depress their workforce in times like this. Mostly it's because rather than biting the bullet and cutting 25% of the workforce in one go like they ought to, and being able to convincingly tell all the remainder they are now safe, they instead go about it via 3 or 4 rounds of 10% cuts (or smaller rounds that are not noticed as much), spaced over a year or more. That leaves everybody scared, depressed and fearing they will be next.

The City's an interesting place to work, where people do take a certain malicious glee in discussing and joking about the possibility of job losses in the same way we discuss companies and financial opportunities. I am no exception, and as such have been busy spreading the rumour that a cut is imminent in early February, and bandying around figures as high as 10-15%.

In my case I have analysed the percentage gone so far, and that estimate seems quite realistic. I have even gone so far as to draw up a spreadsheet of my team members, to work out who the next 1 or 2 should be to go in the next round. I'm being honest with myself and don't think I factor in the bottom 5, hence my assumption I should be some way off the firing line at present. Or so I like to comfort myself.

Nonetheless that doesn't take into account the huge amounts of political maneouvering and backstabbing that is an everyday part of City life. You never quite know what else is going on out of sight, particularly in earlier times at some of the other places I worked.

At another bank, when I joined I quickly worked out that a colleague, Irish Al, had a deep loathing of our manager. Not so unusual you might think, until I learned that 'The Dome', as he was known due to his shining, bald head and apparent desire for all of us to worship at his feet whenever possible to feed his ego, had secured a fast promotion from the new group head when he took over. He did this by meeting with him and planting the idea that he had come up with the idea for a new product that was making us lots of money in the markets.

The reality was that Irish Al had devised it, but to his amazement soon found himself working for the underachieving Dome - and suffering his wrath for the classic reason that he was a perceived threat. Actually now I think of it, I found out that Irish Al was fired last Wednesday from the bank.. something tells me that The Dome will still be there in his kingdom. He'll probably have his entire team sacrificed this year in order to save his own skin.

It might just disappoint you by my saying that where I work now is a refreshing improvement. That might be part of what makes it more successful. Having said that, I'm sure as times get tougher we'll see the real character of a few of those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in what you have to say, in particular negative opinions so feel free to post an insult or two here. Emerging Investor