Friday, May 29, 2009

Different Worlds, Different Priorities

I had an exhausting long weekend in Chicago for a Jewish wedding, so have spent this week jetlagged and wishing L would give me just 5mins respite from wedding planning. I swear, every evening it's something or other - yesterday selecting invitation designs for the UK reception, another time the cake design or colour of ribbons for the chairs.

It won't get any easier tonight, as L took it upon herself to invite two friends (of hers) over for dinner, leaving me to keep my eyes open into the early hours and feign interest.

As I walked over here to my lunchtime bolt hole to write an entry, on this glorious summers day here in London, I mulled over Bill Ackman's PR offensive yesterday, in which he effectively drew a line in the sand with respect to GGP's reorganisation plan, and how if this was put into place he could see a conservative cap rating lead to a 13-fold increase in his investment return upon emergence from Chapter 11.

The plan that Ackman has suggested is very simple: extending most of GGP's $27bn of debt for 7yrs, which he argues will solve all the company's problems without requiring asset sales.

It certainly sounds feasible, although would be highly unpopular with many creditors. However in principle if the court agreed to such a proposal then that is precisely what could happen. All indications to date are that Judge Gropper agrees that taking decisions that protect the wider CRE market are in the public interest. Widescale loan extensions will nonetheless be fully serviced by GGP due to its viable operating model, so this seems quite feasible.

I had envisaged widespread 2yr extensions with limited asset sales, but Ackman is clearly setting out the case with the ideal scenario for common shareholders.

Anyway, there was a certain irony that I was toying with how it would feel to bag over £1 million profit from a trade as I wandered down one of the City's many backroads, when I overheard a middle aged woman - presumably talking on the phone to her husband - arguing over whether it was him or her that was supposed to have paid the £1000 for the mortgage that month.

Different worlds, different priorities. It makes me realise how much of a bubble I live in sometimes when I overhear a conversation like that.

I think that it is fair to say that the market has started to consider GGP as a potential investment opportunity now, rather than after bankrupcty. This is part of the market reassessment after the Court's positive rulings in GGP's favour relating to the SPE inclusion in Chapter 11, amongst other things, earlier this month. I was disappointed by the lack of market response initially, but I think it took time for investors to digest the implications.. I forget most are not so close to the detail.

The end result on closing yesterday, is that the share price has now risen by exactly 200% since GGP filed for Chapter 11 and opened at 60 cents a share on April 17. Not a bad return in 6 weeks for anyone bold enough to buy that day. Although I am averaged in above $1 myself, I am already sitting on a significant unrealised profit, which feels rather better than a loss, however meaningless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in what you have to say, in particular negative opinions so feel free to post an insult or two here. Emerging Investor